Advantages of Django
Here are few advantages of using Django which can be listed out here −
- Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) Support − Django provides a bridge between the data model and the database engine, and supports a large set of database systems including MySQL, Oracle, Postgres, etc. Django also supports NoSQL database through Django-nonrel fork. For now, the only NoSQL databases supported are MongoDB and google app engine.
- Multilingual Support − Django supports multilingual websites through its built-in internationalization system. So you can develop your website, which would support multiple languages.
- Framework Support − Django has built-in support for Ajax, RSS, Caching and various other frameworks.
- Administration GUI − Django provides a nice ready-to-use user interface for administrative activities.
- Development Environment − Django comes with a lightweight web server to facilitate end-to-end application development and testing.
Django is a high-level Python web framework that encourages rapid development and clean, pragmatic design. Django makes it easier to build better web apps quickly and with less code.
Note − Django is a registered trademark of the Django Software Foundation, and is licensed under BSD License.
History of Django
- 2003 − Started by Adrian Holovaty and Simon Willison as an internal project at the Lawrence Journal-World newspaper.
- 2005 − Released July 2005 and named it Django, after the jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt.
- 2005 − Mature enough to handle several high-traffic sites.
- Current − Django is now an open source project with contributors across the world.
Django – Design Philosophies
Django comes with the following design philosophies −
- Loosely Coupled − Django aims to make each element of its stack independent of the others.
- Less Coding − Less code so in turn a quick development.
- Don’t Repeat Yourself (DRY) − Everything should be developed only in exactly one place instead of repeating it again and again.
- Fast Development − Django’s philosophy is to do all it can to facilitate hyper-fast development.
- Clean Design − Django strictly maintains a clean design throughout its own code and makes it easy to follow best web-development practices.
Django is a web development framework that assists in building and maintaining quality web applications. Django helps eliminate repetitive tasks making the development process an easy and time saving experience. This tutorial gives a complete understanding of Django.
This tutorial is designed for developers who want to learn how to develop quality web applications using the smart techniques and tools offered by Django.
Before you proceed, make sure that you understand the basics of procedural and object-oriented programming: control structures, data structures and variables, classes, objects, etc.